How do I get help with databases?
A valid Burnaby Public Library card and personal identification number (PIN) are required to access BPL databases from home. When you select a database from our Databases A to Z page, you'll be prompted to enter these two pieces of information.
See below for solutions to problems with Safari Books Online, Library to Go and other electronic resources.
Problems with Safari Books Online
Safari Books Online times out after 20 minutes of inactivity. If you need to view a single page for an extended period, try scrolling up or down the page from time to time to avoid being logged out.
If you are presented with a preview screen in Safari, either because you have been logged out by the website, or because you have logged out on your own, clear your browser's history, close your browser and begin a new session:
- In Internet Explorer: Go to Tools > Delete Browsing History > Delete History
- In Firefox: Go to Tools > Clear Recent History
- In Google Chrome: Click the wrench icon in the browser toolbar > Tools > Clear Browsing Data
Remember to close all browser windows and begin a new browser session before trying again.
Problems with Library to Go
If you recently upgraded to iOS 7 and the OverDrive Media Console app is crashing: try reauthorizing the app with your Adobe ID. If that fails, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the app. Please see the OverDrive website for details and instructions.
If the Library to Go login page doesn't load or displays an error message: try clearing your browser history (including your browser's cache, active sessions, etc), close all browser windows, and try again. Instructions are available online for most browsers, including Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari. You can also try using a different browser.
If you log in to the Library to Go shared collection and your holds are missing: please place your holds again and email us with your library card number and the titles of the books you were waiting for. If you can't remember the titles, let us know. We can restore your holds for you if necessary and move you up the hold queue to reduce the wait time.
Other connection problems
Problems connecting to our databases are usually related to security settings in your browser, firewall or anti-virus software. There is also a separate, known problem with Safari Books Online (see above). The default settings in Norton firewall and anti-virus software do not allow the type of authentication we use (referring URL) to work. If you encounter problems, try this test: turn off the firewall or Internet security/anti-virus software on your computer and then try to connect to the database again. If it then works, you know your Internet security software must be adjusted.
Use this test to see if you are blocking referring URLs.
Then configure your firewall for remote access:
- Norton 360
- Norton Internet Security 2008
- Norton Internet Security 2007
- Norton Internet Security 2006
- Zone Alarm
Besides adding "umi.com" to gain access to Proquest products (Canadian Newsstream, Safari Books Online), you may need to add the following for other databases:
- for MasterFILE Premier: *.epnet.com
- for Naxos Music Library and Naxos Jazz: naxosmusiclibrary.com
- for Press Display: library.pressdisplay.com
Still need help?
If after trying the above, you still cannot connect please contact us (phone 604-436-5400 or contact us by email) with the following information:
- your BPL barcode number and PIN
- the name of the database you're trying to access
- whether or not you are able to connect to our other databases
- details about the error message are you getting
- the name of the browser and version number are you using (e.g. Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3)
- how are you connecting to the Internet (e.g. dial-up, ADSL, cable, network)
- details about the firewall or other Internet security software you have on your computer
If you are trying to access a MasterFILE Premier, you can call EBSCO's technical support at 1-800-758-5995.